List of Affiliation Dates of State Parties
The LP has not always had affiliates in all of the states and there have been times where states have lost affiliation through "dying" or being disaffiliation. This article is an attempt to keep track of these dates and events by state.
Number of Affiliates Through Time
- 15 up from 8 as per LNC Meeting 25 November 1972 at which time a requirement was put in place that affiliation would not take place until a state convention has been held, at which the National LP Statement of Principles is endorsed, officers elected, and a state Constitution and By-Laws adopted duet to issues at that meeting with the affiliations of the Arizona Libertarian Party and the Libertarian Party of California. The past issues and minutes do not indicate who those 8 are which will need to be determined through the process of elimination as the dates are filled in. Likely candidates are Alaska, California (certain), Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Nevada, New York, Oklahoma (fairly certain), Oregon, Texas, and Utah.
- 27 down from 28 in November 1973 as per Document:LP News 1974 January-February Issue 18.
- A petition from Arizona was rejected, after evidence was presented that there were irregularities in that state's temporary organization at the LNC Meeting 25 November 1972.
- In the 2000 election, the Arizona Libertarian Party recognized by Arizona but disaffiliated by the national LP, declined to endorse the national LP's presidential nominee, Harry Browne, instead placing L. Neil Smith on the ballot as its presidential nominee.
The prior affiliation was unsuccessfully challenged at the LNC Meeting 25 November 1972.
- 11/25/72 at the LNC Meeting 25 November 1972 as per Document:LP News 1972 November Issue 11
- Affiliation was lost as of 11/24/73 as per Document:LP News 1974 January-February Issue 18