A gold standard is a monetary system in which the standard unit of currency is a fixed quantity of gold or is kept at the value of a fixed quantity of gold.
The currency is freely convertible at home or abroad into a fixed amount of gold per unit of currency.
- Gold standard on Wikipedia
- 1925: Churchill & The Gold Standard - UK Parliament Living Heritage
- What is The Gold Standard? University of Iowa Center for International Finance and Development
- History of the Bank of England Bank of England
- Timeline: Gold's history as a currency standard