| 74th Governor of Rhode Island|
State of Rhode Island
|January 4, 2011—January 6, 2015|
| United States Senator|
State of Rhode Island
|November 2, 1999—January 3, 2007|
|January 1, 1993—November 1, 1999|
|Birth:||March 26, 1953|
Republican (before 2007)
|view image gallery|
Lincoln Davenport Chafee (born March 26, 1953), is an American politician from Rhode Island. He was mayor of Warwick from 1993 to 1999, was appointed to the United States Senate in 1999 following his father's death and served until 2007, and the 74th Governor of Rhode Island from 2011 to 2015. Chafee has sought and served in office as an Republican mayor and senator, independent governor, and Democratic presidential candidate. On January 5, 2020, he announced his run for the Libertarian presidential nomination in 2020.
Lincoln Chafee was born on March 26, 1953, in Providence, Rhode Island, the son of Virginia and John Chafee. He attended public schools in Warwick, Rhode Island, Providence Country Day School, and graduated from Phillips Academy in 1971. Chafee graduated from Brown University in 1975 gaining a bachelor of arts in classics. In January 1990, he married Stephanie Birney Danforth and has since had three children with her.
Chafee began his political career as a Republican when in 1986 he was elected to Warwick's city council and reelected in 1988. In 1990 Chafee attempted to become mayor of Warwick, but was defeated by Charles Donovan. In 1992, Chafee defeated Donovan and was reelected three more times until the death of his father in 1999 when Governor Lincoln Almond appointed him to serve out the rest of his father's term.
2020 Campaign for President of the United States
On April 5 2020, Chafee withdrew from the race.
|Republican||Lincoln Chafee (incumbent)||57.56%||17,808|
|Cool Moose||Timothy Rossano||2.54%||786|
|Republican||Lincoln Chafee (incumbent)||100.00%||2,221|
|Republican||Lincoln Chafee (incumbent)||56.88%||222,588|
|Reform||Christopher F. Young||1.05%||4,107|
|Independent||Kenneth P. Proulx||0.93%||3,635|
|Republican||Lincoln Chafee (incumbent)||54.17%||34,934|
|Republican||Lincoln Chafee (incumbent)||46.44%||179,001|
|Republican (write-in)||Stephen Laffey||0.05%||185|
- "Children of famous win vote support". https://www.newspapers.com/clip/36004037/the_desert_sun/.
- "Warwick, RI - Mayor 1998". https://www.ourcampaigns.com/RaceDetail.html?RaceID=457598.
- "Chafee's son named to fill father's Senate seat". https://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/11/02/chafee.appointed/index.html.
- "1998 Warwick, Rhode Island Mayoral Election". https://www.ourcampaigns.com/RaceDetail.html?RaceID=457598.
- "2000 Rhode Island U.S. Senate Election – Republican Primary". https://www.ourcampaigns.com/RaceDetail.html?RaceID=208045.
- "2000 Rhode Island U.S. Senate Election". https://www.ourcampaigns.com/RaceDetail.html?RaceID=113.
- "2006 Rhode Island U.S. Senate Election – Republican Primary". https://www.ourcampaigns.com/RaceDetail.html?RaceID=114319.
- "2006 Rhode Island U.S. Senate Election". https://www.ourcampaigns.com/RaceDetail.html?RaceID=83037.
- "2010 Rhode Island Gubernatorial Election". https://www.ourcampaigns.com/RaceDetail.html?RaceID=409679.