Libertarian Party of Virginia Alleged Dissolution Controversy 2022
This page (Libertarian Party of Virginia Alleged Dissolution Controversy 2022) may contain disputed or controversial material because there are strong and differing opinions on some aspect of this topic. LPedia is an archive and takes no sides. The main article on a topic should focus on undisputed facts. Material that represents subjective opinions should be presented as such by one of the following methods: reference to another document that has a clearly identified author or source, a footnote that identifies the source along with the opinion, a brief summary in the main text of the nature of the dispute and the positions of each side. Authors should refrain from language that shows bias, e.g., praise of one side or slurs against another. Extended presentations of a particular viewpoint are best provided as separate documents or articles labeled as such; this allows readers to make their own judgments and arrive at their own conclusions. Thank you for respecting the purpose of LPedia. For more information see LPedia:Disputed or Controversial Material.
This article summarizes the alleged dissolution incident perpetrated by seven members of the Libertarian Party of Virginia (LPVA) State Central Committee (SCC) which occurred during the September 11, 2022 SCC meeting, as well as its aftermath.
- August 30, 2022 - Chair Holly Ward returns from a one month absence and calls a meeting of the LPVA SCC for September 11, 2022 at 7:00 PM
- September 11, 2022 at 7:00 PM - Meeting opens. During Secretary Celeste Garrett's report, she halts the report to put forward with no prior notice or mention of the motion in the agenda having been made. The motion is voted on, the vote result is 7-5-1. The Zoom call is turned off over strenuous objections. Draft meeting minutes are available .
- September 11, 2022 by 9:00 PM - The LPVA Facebook page and Twitter page are deleted and the website is taken down by either the LPVA SCC members attempting to dissolved the party or their co-conspirators.
- September 12, 2022 - The remaining members of the Eighth Congressional District Committee vote to hold a meeting. At this meeting then-District At-Large Member Logan Hoy is elected as District Chair to fill the vacant position.
- September 12, 2022 - October 5, 2022 - LPVA members Jason Bruce and Paul Bracco, along with help from others, work to organize an agenda, petition, and convention venue to call a General State Convention under the rules of the .
- September 13, 2022 - Holly Ward files indicating that the nonstock corporation Libertarian Party of Virginia Inc. was dissolved by a vote of the members rather than a vote of the board. The original are added here for reference.
- September 13, 2022 - October 11, 2022 - Holly Ward provides multiple interviews to media outlets. She is characterized in multiple articles as the "former chair" or "ex-chair".
- September 15, 2022 - LNC Chair Angela McArdle, in response to a Point of Inquiry raised by Secretary Caryn Ann Harlos, confirms the continuing existence of the Libertarian Party of Virginia as an affiliate of the Libertarian Party.
- September 18, 2022 - Joe Enroughty is removed as Sixth Congressional District Chair by the district committee. Per the Sixth Congressional District bylaws District Vice-Chair David Maurice is automatically elevated to District Chair.
- September 21, 2022 - The LPVA Fifth Congressional District Facebook page announces the resignation of District Chair Brian Doss effective September 11, 2022. District Vice-Chair Derek Maddox is automatically elevated to District Chair.
- September 23, 2022 - The LPVA website is brought back online. is provided on the home page.
- October 5, 2022 - LPVA member and petition spokesperson Jason Bruce launches a website to solicit petitions to call a General State Convention on Saturday, December 3. The proposed agenda for the convention is available .
- October 10, 2022 - An Jason Bruce including an explanation of the situation as well as requesting that members sign the convention petition. is sent to all members of the LPVA email list from petition spokesperson
- October 12, 2022 - LPVA member and petition spokesperson Jason Bruce submits over 80 member signatures to the LPVA SCC to call a General State Convention. Per the signatures of twenty percent of the membership is required to call a General State Convention (Art. V Sec. 7). As of October 12, 2022 the LPVA membership rolls contained 306 active members, meaning 62 member signatures are required to call a General State Convention.
- October 16, 2022 - A video recording of the September 11, 2022 SCC meeting is published on the Libertarian Party of Virginia YouTube channel. letting them know this new development.
- October 17, 2022 - The chat log ( ) for the September 11, 2022 SCC meeting is made available on LPedia.
- October 26, 2022 - The convention notice mailer (Jason Bruce. ) is sent by petition spokesperson
- October 27, 2022 - The LNC publishes the convention call on lp.org.
- October 28, 2022 - Parliamentary opinions provided by Mr. Jonathan M. Jacobs, PRP-R, CPP are made available publicly. The first opinion ( ) covers the parliamentary procedure aspects of the alleged dissolution. The second opinion ( ) speaks to the Secretary's role specifically and the SCC's role more broadly in the process for calling a General State Convention under the rules set by the .
- November 3, 2022 - Per the , the last date for new members of the LPVA to join and be eligible to vote at convention. Lapsed members may become eligible to vote by renewing their membership up until the day of the convention provided their membership lapsed on or after January 3, 2022.
- November 3-10, 2022 - The is delivered to all current members of the LPVA.
- November 27, 2022 - A containing candidates for officer positions is made available by the convention organizers. Additional candidate nominations may be made from the convention floor.
- December 3, 2022 - The General Convention is held in Ruther Glen, VA. The proposed changes to the Constitution were passed with minor amendments. The elections of Chair and Secretary were rescinded and a new Chair (Jennifer Leatherbury), Vice Chair (Paul Bracco), and Secretary (Jason Bruce) were elected. Draft minutes are available .
- December 18, 2022 - The new SCC meets for the first time following the December 3, 2022 General State Convention. The and the are approved.
- January 3, 2023 - LPVA Chair Jennifer Leatherbury and Secretary Jason Bruce file . The Virginia State Corporation Commission once again recognizes the Libertarian Party of Virginia Inc. as an active corporation.
- August 24, 2023 - In compliance with Article VII of the Jason Bruce to the LPVA SCC of his intention to make separate motions to expel Holly Ward, Celeste Garrett, Hannah Lawrence, Paul Kunberger, Brian Doss, Joe Enroughty, & Chris Frashure at a meeting to take place on September 24, 2023. , notice is sent by
- September 24, 2023 - The separate motions to expel Holly Ward, Celeste Garrett, Hannah Lawrence, Paul Kunberger, Brian Doss, Joe Enroughty, & Chris Frashure all pass. The results for all seven motions is 15-0-0. Meeting minutes will be available soon.
Video of September 11, 2022 Alleged Dissolution Meeting
Video of December 3, 2022 General State Convention
- Libertarian Party of Virginia, Inc., Virginia State Corporation Commission, https://cis.scc.virginia.gov/EntitySearch/BusinessInformation?businessId=300453, retrieved 3 Jan 2023
- Libertarian Party Faces State Rebellions, Reason Magazine, https://reason.com/2022/09/15/libertarian-party-faces-state-rebellions/, retrieved 25 September 2022
- Virginia’s Libertarian Party votes to dissolve itself; national group cries foul, Virginia Pilot, https://www.pilotonline.com/government/virginia/vp-nw-libertarians-politics-virginia-20220914-7o5s3bzxqzfmnbtikmokwou5gu-story.html, retrieved 25 September 2022
- 'Failed coup': Libertarian Party refutes Virginia party branch dissolving itself, Washington Examiner, https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/libertarian-party-refutes-virginia-party-branch-dissolving, retrieved 25 September 2022
- Libertarian Party of Virginia dissolving after national party’s ‘bigoted’ turn, ex-chair says, Virginia Mercury, https://www.virginiamercury.com/2022/09/13/libertarian-party-of-virginia-dissolving-after-national-partys-bigoted-turn-ex-chair-says/, retrieved 25 September 2022
- This Right-Wing Faction Is Waging Civil War Inside the Libertarian Party, The Daily Beast, https://www.thedailybeast.com/libertarian-party-is-fighting-a-civil-war-over-its-right-wing-mises-caucus, retrieved 1 October 2022
- Libertarian Party Loses State Parties, Donors After Hard-right Turn, Southern Poverty Law Center, https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2022/10/11/libertarian-party-loses-state-parties-donors-after-hard-right-turn, retrieved 13 October 2022
- Harlos Point of Inquiry, Libertarian National Committee, https://groups.google.com/a/lp.org/g/lnc-business/c/fnRuE9EjUN8, retrieved 10 October 2022
- LPVA CD06 - Special Meeting, Libertarian Party of Virginia, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqBtfTA62h8, retrieved 25 September 2022
- LPVA CD05 Resignation Announcement, Libertarian Party of Virginia, 5th Congressional District Committee, https://www.facebook.com/LPVA5th/posts/pfbid0fr8o5ieuVz6SuxN2UBdE3iXTdiqGMrcsMiejiveyFVzLu4SanwbUEwnPow1EB9Nbl, retrieved 25 September 2022
- LPVA Website, Libertarian Party of Virginia, http://lpofva.org/, retrieved 29 September 2022
- General State Convention Petition Website, Jason Bruce, https://lpvaconvention.wixsite.com/03dec2022, retrieved 5 October 2022
- General State Convention Petition Signatories, Jason Bruce, https://www.petitions.net/signatures/lpva-convention-2022/, retrieved 13 October 2022
- Libertarian Party of Virginia State Central Committee Meeting 11 September, 2022, Libertarian Party of Virginia, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKT1wdzf5Nc, retrieved 16 October 2022
- Call to Virginia General State Convention on 03 December, 2022, Libertarian Party, https://www.lp.org/call-to-virginia-general-state-convention-on-03-december-2022/, retrieved 27 October 2022
- 24 September 2023 Agenda: Expulsion Notifications, Libertarian Party of Virginia, https://groups.google.com/g/lpva-scc-list/c/XpVCQuiFtFE/m/H3IPvvKrAAAJ, retrieved 24 Sep 2023