The Libertarian Movement , ML) is a political party in Italy which espouses a typically libertarian platform, namely minimal regulation of society, free markets, strong defense of natural rights of liberty and property, non-interventionism in foreign policy and laissez-faire freedom of trade and travel to all foreign countries. Its founders are Leonardo Facco and Giorgio Fidenato. Fidenato left the movement on April 15, 2020 after a dispute arose from Fidenato's endorsement of the Covid related policies by the Italian government. The party has as its symbol two black hands shaking and a yellow background in reference to its membership in the anarcho-capitalist.
ML was started as a cultural association on 24 September 2005 in Treviglio with the writing of the Manifesto and Constitution of the Libertarian Movement by Facco. Two years after, ML was transformed into a party by Facco, Fidenato and Marcello Mazzilli. The party's goal is to defend life, liberty and property of each individual within a strong free market system. The party has its registered office in the municipality of Pordenone.
The party supports both the Padanian and the Venetian independence movements. Among other things, Facco is editor of the pro-independence and libertarian online newspaper L'Indipendenza. Both Facco (who has been a leader of the libertarian faction within Lega Nord in the 1990s) and Fidenato have participated in events and demonstrations organized by separatist parties as the Padanian Union, the Alpine Padanian Union and Veneto State. In November 2011, Facco proposed the creation of an Independentist Libertarian Movement (MLI) which would support all the separatist movements and parties active around Italy. In the run-up of a conference of free independentists organized by L'Indipendenza, Fidenato, who had been long in favour of the dissolution of Italy, endorsed the proposal. The party has as its symbol a round disk with a yellow-gold background in reference to the gold standard and also to its membership in the anarcho-capitalist movement.
ML was started as a cultural association on 24 September 2005 in Treviglio with the writing of the Manifesto and Constitution of the Libertarian Movement by Leonardo Facco. Two years after, ML was transformed into a party by Leonardo Facco, Giorgio Fidenato and Marcello Mazzilli. The party's goal is to defend life, liberty and property of each individual within a strong free market system. The party has its registered office in the Municipality of Pordenone.
The party supports both the Padanian and the Venetian independence movements. Among other things, Facco is editor of the pro-independence and libertarian online newspaper L'Indipendenza. Both Facco, who has been a leader of the libertarian faction within Lega Nord in the 1990s, and Fidenato have participated in events and demonstrations organized by separatist parties as the Padanian Union, the Alpine Padanian Union, Veneto State.
In November 2011 Facco proposed the creation of an Independentist Libertarian Movement (MLI), which would support all the separatist movements and parties active around Italy. In the run-up of a conference of free independentists organized by L'Indipendenza, Fidenato, who had been long in favour of the dissolution of Italy, endorsed the proposal.
ML takes inspiration from the classical liberalism of John Locke and the Founding Fathers of the United States conjugated to the 19th-century American individualist anarchist strand of Benjamin Tucker, Henry David Thoreau and Lysander Spooner. On the economy, ML takes inspiration from the Austrian School and the theoretic formulation of philosopher and economist Murray Rothbard. The actions in favor of tax resistance, free entrepreneurship and political non-voting also recall the agorist reflections by Samuel Edward Konkin III, although ML does not officially identify itself in programmatic positions and spectrum of the American left-libertarians. ML also includes some aspects from the American model of liberty (minarchism) theorized by Robert Nozick and the Objectivism philosophy described in novels by Ayn Rand. ML refers to freedom of association of the anarchist federalism, anarcho-capitalist free market society and to the Jeffersonian limited government of classical liberalism.
ML holds an anti-federalist stance on European integration. It is against the transformation of the European Union into a federation, preferring the voluntary accession and the unanimity of a confederation. The term _federalism_ as it is used by ML means decentralization and fiscal federalism as opposed to the Italian highly centralized state. Party icons include Ferdinando Galiani, Cesare Beccaria, Filippo Mazzei, Emerico Amari, Carlo Cattaneo, Gaetano Mosca, Vilfredo Pareto, Luigi Einaudi, Bruno Leoni and Gianfranco Miglio. Despite being officially a party, ML has spoken in favor of non-voting. A party slogan says: "Neither right nor left, nor centrist. Simply free is better".
Battle to Sow GMO Maize
Giorgio Fidenato and ML favor the free cultivation and commercialization of GMO seeds and food. They support no limits to GMOs in Italy, consumer freedom to choose their own products and freedom of private scientific research as long as it respect the natural human rights and it does not use public money.
In this respect, Fidenato and his Federated Farmers (Agricoltori Federati) were subjected to threats and acts of violent vandalism in their headquarters by an anti-globalization and environmentalist group for their position on GMO maize. The Italian Radicals referred in Parliament on the issue.
Through his Leonardo Facco Editore publishing house, Facco issues two magazines: Enclave and I Fogli di Enclave. The Scientific Committee of Enclave includes Walter Block, David Friedman, Hans-Hermann Hoppe, John Hospers, Antonio Martino, Pierre Lemieux, Tibor Machan, Jan Narveson, Wendy McElroy, Ralph Raico, Robert Sirico and Thomas Szasz.
Spectrum Internal Libertarianism
The Movimento Libertario is formally neutral as libertarian ideology, with an anarcho-capitalist vision, a voluntaryist organization and an agorist practices as characteristics.
Unlike the United States, in Italy and in the Movimento Libertario there are not internal controversies among the identity of libertarian term between libertarians members or a clear distinction between the right libertarian](paleolibertarian and libertarian conservatives) members and left libertarians (the latter understood in their sense of American left libertarians Rothbardian like agorist, panarchist not to the European libertarian socialists) because the libertarian schools no presents so significant differences in their common anti-state vision.
Moreover, these libertarian schools are not rooted in Italy if not with some representative members in the Movimento Libertario.
The Movimento Libertario considers crucial to encourage what is common and unites all the various libertarian orientations, seeking to promote the protection of private property, free market and the natural law through actions and non-violent and peaceful means.
Structure and Membership
The bodies of internal administration include the Managing Director, Board of Directors (B.o. D.), Assembly of Members (Meeting of Shareholders), Groups of Territorial Association (clans), Board of Auditors, and the Enclave of Essays.
The Statute of the Movimento Libertario describes and regulates all bodies of internal administration and their function.
Leonardo Facco co-founder of the Association, represents from 2007 till 2011 (in according to the statute and to the internal democracy of members of Association) the role of Managing Director of the Movimento Libertario.
He represents the Movimento Libertario in their official activity.
Any adult who registers and pays a participation fee becomes a shareholder member of the movement and therefore acquired the right to vote and actively participate to the meetings of internal bodies.
Minors, even if authorized by a single parent, may be enrolled only as members sympathizers with no rights to vote.
In its party's constitution, ML acknowledges the following libertarian principles:
- Freedom understood as the absence of constraint is a natural right of the individual, which nobody (private or public organization) must threaten.
- The government in its various variants forces people to obey blindly and accept legislation invasive and oppressive monopoly.
- Everyone has the right to seek their own happiness and that of his loved ones, taking responsibility for their actions.
- Each individual is entitled organize in freedom themselves to protect their lives and their belongings, particularly given the enormous difficulties posed by the power of politicians at all levels.
- The need to eliminate and reduce the state, politicians and bureaucracies in the everyday life, increasingly recognizing the dignity of all people working really, producing their own resources and possessions.
- Property is a natural and inalienable right of man, primarily the property of themselves, of the own bodies and of one's life.
As a cultural association, ML aims at promoting anarchism in Italy. The association's motto is "Everyone is free to do what he thinks is right for himself, without attacking anyone, and without attacking the property rights of others". As such, the group organizes meetings, debates and conferences and issues publications.
- "Fidenato Ha Lasciato Il Movimento: Dimissioni Annunciate Ad Aprile". 1 October 2020. https://www.movimentolibertario.com/2020/10/dimissioni-fidenato/.
- "The libertarian way to happiness", L'Opinione, by Elisa Borghi. Retrieved on May 18, 2007. Interview to Marcello Mazzilli spokesman of the Movimento Libertario.
- "Facco: "Per l'Indipendenza Servono Azioni Forti, non Consulte"". 30 November 2012. http://www.movimentolibertario.com/2012/11/facco-per-lindipendenza-servono-azioni-forti-non-consulte/.
- "Il Nord Est che vuole separarsi si raduna a Jesolo". 22 May 2012. http://www.anordestdiche.com/il-nord-est-che-vuole-separarsi-si-raduna-a-jesolo/.
- "Chi Siamo | L'Indipendenza". http://www.lindipendenza.com/chi-siamo/.
- "Ultime Notizie Online | Agenzia Giornalistica Italia | AGI". http://www.agi.it/milano/notizie/201111261845-pol-rmi0053-unione_padana_lega_ha_fallito_autonomia_comunita_padano_alpine.
- "Unione Padania Alpina: assalto al grano padano | Bergamo.Info giornale d'opinione a Bergamo". http://www.bergamo.info/politica/politica-locale/assalto-al-grano-padano/.
- "Veneto: Monumento All'Evasore Fiscale | Movimento Libertario". http://www.movimentolibertario.com/2011/09/02/veneto-monumento-allevasore-fiscale/.
- "«Italia al collasso Portiamo in Slovenia i nostri risparmi» – Cronaca – Messaggero Veneto". http://messaggeroveneto.gelocal.it/cronaca/2011/09/28/news/italia-al-collasso-portiamo-in-slovenia-i-nostri-risparmi-1.842796.
- "Indipendentisti e Libertari". 16 November 2011. http://www.movimentolibertario.com/2011/11/16/indipendentisti-e-libertari/.
- "Confederazione Liberi Indipentisti: Una Proposta | L'Indipendenza". http://www.lindipendenza.com/confederazione-liberi-indipendentisti-una-proposta/.
- "Libertari Ed Indipendentisti, Una Scelta Di Liberta | L'Indipendenza". http://www.lindipendenza.com/movimento-libertario-indipendentista/.
- "Disponibili a Partecipare Alla Conferenza Indipendentista". 13 February 2012. http://www.movimentolibertario.com/2012/02/13/disponibili-a-partecipare-alla-conferenza-indipendentista/.
- The libertarian way to happiness L'Opinione, by Elisa Borghi. Retrieved on May 18, 2007. Interview to Marcello Mazzilli spokesman of the Movimento Libertario.
- The political theory of libertarian political, cultural and economic references of the Movimento Libertario
- "Classic liberals at the polls: what to do?" L'Opinione, by Gustavo Cevolani. Retrieved on April 10, 2008.
- "Video about violent protests by environmentalists and no-global movements against Italian Federated Farmers".
- "GMO: FVG, opponents bursts within Federated Farmers", Agi News Retrieved on April 30, 2010.
- "GMO maize, war breaks out of the seed", Il Giornale, by Fausto Biloslavo. Retrieved on May 1, 2010.
- "TG5 tv service on Fidenato and the Movimento Libertario first sowing GMO in Italy" Retrieved on May 1, 2010. In the tv service the violent protests by environmentalists and no-global movements against Italian Federated Farmers.
- "Assembly Reports", Annex B Seat N°316, May 4, 2010. Italian parliamentary question of the Italian Radicals to the Italian minister of the Interior and to his colleague to the Italian Agriculture. Archived from camera.it.
- "Best Slot Game On Bovada – leonardofaccoeditore.com". https://leonardofaccoeditore.com/online-casino-free-bet/.
- Movimento Libertario Clan libertarians Italian map of the presence of local clan supporters ML.
- Membership 2010!. We count on you! Retrived on December 31, 2009.
- Libertarians are not born, they become! by Board of Directors of the Movimento Libertario. Retrived on May 23, 2010.