Caryn Ann Harlos
|Caryn Ann Harlos|
| Region 1 Representative|
Libertarian National Committee
| Communications Director|
Libertarian Party of Colorado
|Occupation:||Paralegal, Author, Activist|
|Residence:||Castle Rock, Colorado|
Caryn Ann Harlos is the current Region 1 Representative on the Libertarian National Committee. She is also the Communications Director for the Libertarian Party of Colorado, Chair of the Libertarian Party Preservation Committee, and former Colorado State Coordinator with the Libertarian Party Radical Caucus. She is also a Life Member of the Libertarian Party. She is married to Wayne Harlos who is the current chair of the Libertarian Party of Colorado.
- 1 Organizational Positions
- 2 "Ballot Selfie" Lawsuit
- 3 Ideology
- 4 Radical Caucus
- 5 Convention Appearances
- 6 Other Media Appearances and Interviews
- 7 Libertarian Party Sponsored Appearances
- 8 Other Noteworthy Appearances
- 9 Video Tutorials and Commentaries
- 10 2017 Appointment to Platform Committee
- 11 Notable Other Accomplishments
- 12 References
- Libertarian Party
- National Social Media Team (August 2015- present)
- Region 1 Representative (May 2016- present)
- Advertising and Publication Review Committee (May 2016- present)
- Historical Preservation Committee- Chair (January 2017-present)
- Candidate Support Committee (August 2017-present)
- Bylaws and Rules Committee (2017-2018)
- Platform Committee-Chair (2018)
- Libertarian Party of Colorado
- Social Media Chair (January 2015- present)
- Historical Committee (2016)
- Standing Rules Committee (2016-2017)
- Credentialing Committee- Chair (2016-2017)
- Bylaws Committee (October 2016-March 2017)
- 2017 Convention Planning Committee- Party Business Subcommittee Chair (2016-2017)
- Communications Director (January 2016- present)
- Platform Committee- Chair (2015-2016)
- Bylaws Committee (2015-2016)
- Platform Committee- Chair (2016-2017)
- Bylaws Committee (2016-2017)
- Policy Manual Committee (August 2017- March 2018)
- Platform Committee (2017-2018)
- Bylaws Committee (2017-2018)
- Standing Rules Committee (2018)
- Libertarian Party of Douglas County
- Libertarian Party of Colorado Constitution and Bylaws Committee- Douglas County Representative (2017-2018)
- Libertarian Party of Douglas County (Development Group)
- Bylaws Committee- Chair (October 2016)
- Libertarian Party Radical Caucus
- Convention Committee (October 2017- present)
- Bylaws Committee (October 2017- present)
- Platform Committee (October 2017- present)
- Branding Committee (October 2016- present)
- Colorado State Coordinator (April 2016- August 2017)
- Platform Committee- Chair (October 2016- May 2017)
- Bylaws Committee (2016)
- Platform Committee (October 2015- March 2016)
- Platform Committee (September 2017- present)
- Policy Manual Committee (August 2017- present)
- Standing Rules Committee (January 2018-March 2018)
- 2016 Gary Johnson Campaign
- Libertarian Advisory Committee (July 2016- November 2016)
- National Convention Delegate
- 2016 in Orlando
"Ballot Selfie" Lawsuit
In 2016, Caryn Ann and several other defendants sued the Colorado Secretary of State, State Attorney, and Denver Attorney General over a Colorado statute forbidding the disclosure of the contents of one's own ballot. This came in the wake of multiple similar suits, including a successful overturning of a similar law in New Hampshire. View a copy of the Complaint and the Order for Injunctive Relief as well as a copy of the Colorado statute that was overturned.
Caryn Ann is an ideological anarchist/voluntaryist who has become distinguished for presentations on the Dallas Accord and the Statement of Principles. She is also widely known as a pro-life Libertarian having authored "Abortion and the Libertarian Conscience."
- Arizona Libertarian Party, January 2017.
- Montana Libertarian Party, March 2017.
- Libertarian Party of Colorado, March 2017.
- Libertarian Party of New Mexico, April 2017.
- Libertarian Party of Washington, April 2017
- Alaska Libertarian Party, May 2017.
- Libertarian Party of Oregon, June 2017.
Caryn Ann spoke as Regional Representative and membership recruiter at the following conventions:
- Arizona Liberty Party, January 2018.
Other Media Appearances and Interviews
- Politico, May 2016
- The Washington Post, May 2016
- Reason "Hit and Run," July 2016
- Denver Post, August 2016
- Westword, August 2016
- The Johny Rocket Launchpad, September 2016, Episode 102'
- Colorado Independent, October 2016
- Tom Woods Show, February 2017, Episode. 844
- Reason Magazine, February 2017
- Libertopia Cartoons, February 2017
- Colorado Independent, May 2017
- Dankertarian Podcast, Ep 01, June 2017
- Colorado Public Radio, August 2017
- Reason "Hit and Run," September 2017
- Ask a Libertarian AMA Part One
- Ask a Libertarian AMA Part Two
- Westword, January 2018
- Reason "Hit and Run," February 6, 2018
Libertarian Party Sponsored Appearances
- National Libertarian Party Facebook Spotlight, January 2017
- Libertarian National Party Conference Call "How to Get Involved With the Libertarian Party", April 12, 2017
- Libertarian National Party Conference Call "How to Get Involved With the Libertarian Party", July 2017
- "Abortion and the Libertarian Conscience" with the Flathead County Libertarian Party
- Libertarian Party Snapchat Takeover, January 6, 2018
- Libertarian National Party Conference Call "How to Get Involved With the Libertarian Party", January 8, 2018
Other Noteworthy Appearances
- 2016 Nomination Speech for Libertarian Presidential candidate Darryl W. Perry (video not available)
- 2016 Nomination Speech for Libertarian Vice-Presidential candidate Will Coly
- Clip on CNN promo on Libertarian Party
- Defending Markets at Warm Cookies of the Revolution, December 2016
- Libertarian Party Snapchat Takeover, January 2018
Video Tutorials and Commentaries
Caryn Ann has a YouTube channel Pink Flame of Liberty
2017 Appointment to Platform Committee
At the LNC Meeting on April 15017, 2017, Caryn Ann was appointed to the Platform Committee for the 2018 Convention. In the first round of voting there was a 4-way tie between Adam Bates, Aaron Starr, Joe Henchman, and Caryn Ann Harlos. Those four were the only ones included in the second round which then had a tie between Aaron Starr and Caryn Harlos at 9 votes each (and a majority). In round three of voting Aaron Starr and Caryn Ann Harlos each received 8 votes, and Adam Bates received 6 votes. For the next round, the rules were suspended to allow only one vote rather than approval voting. In round four, no one received a majority with Aaron Starr receiving 8 votes, Caryn Ann Harlos receiving 6 votes, and Adam Bates received 3 votes. A motion to suspend the rules to appoint Aaron Starr failed and voting went to another round. In the fifth round, no candidate received a majority with Arron Starr receiving 6 votes, Caryn Ann Harlos receiving 8 votes, and Adam Bates receiving 2 votes. In round 6, Aaron Starr and Caryn Ann Harlos each received 8 votes, and Adam Bates received 1 vote. The rules suspended to have the results determined by a coin flip between Aaron Starr and Caryn Ann Harlos. The minutes describe the results as follows:
Using a New Jersey quarter which Mr. Redpath purportedly obtained from The Sopranos on his last visit, Mr. McKnight conducted the coin toss, and Ms. Harlos called the “New Jersey / tails” side of the coin. Ms. Harlos won the coin toss, thus she was appointed to the fifth position on the Platform Committee, and Mr. Starr was appointed as an alternate.
In February 2018, Caryn Ann and Alicia Mattson both sought the Platform Committee Chair position. The results came in as follow:
Voting for Mattson: Carling, Clift, Craig, DiBenedetto, Mattson, Robson, Van Horn
Voting for Harlos: Cholko, Fulner, Harlos, Knapp, Longstreth, Morris, Nanna, Perry, Rosenbeck, Scheetz, Watts
Express abstentions: Fockler, Miron
With 11 votes out of 18 ballots cast, Caryn Ann Harlos is elected as committee chair, having received a majority vote.
Notable Other Accomplishments
Caryn Ann is a paralegal with over twenty years of experience. She has also authored a book on Christian eschatology that had been used as a reference work in a class at Liberty University. She has appeared in radio shows and podcasts all over the world on this topic and was a guest lecturer at Appalachian State University. Caryn Ann has been involved in various other non-profit activist and service organizations including volunteering for a teen runaway and suicide hotline, regular head and assistant cook volunteer at Gold Coast Via de Cristo events, and served as Treasurer on the Gold Coast Via de Cristo Secretariat, as well as archivist of its banner collection spanning multiple decades.
- "How a Libertarian plans to challenge Colorado’s ‘ballot-selfie’ law", Colorado Independent, October 21, 2016
- "Ballot Selfie Ban Violates Free Speech Rights", "FPP News, Volume 7, Issue 11"
- Independent Political Report, August 25, 2016
- "Caryn Ann Harlos on the LP Statement of Principles", Libertarian Party, May 3, 2017.
- Photo Gallery from the 2016 Libertarian Party Convention
- [https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/05/29/libertarians-pick-johnson-and-weld-ticket-after-close-contest/?utm_term=.cd4ddc6205fb Libertarians pick Johnson and Weld ticket after close contest]
- "Did the Libertarian Radicals Lose Their Inter-Party Fight? Not So Fast, Says One"
- Small but growing number of Colorado voters shift to Green, Libertarian parties
- "How "Terrible" Trump and Clinton Help the Libertarian Party in Colorado and Beyond"
- Party-Archy, the Libertarian Wing of the Libertarian Party"
- How a Libertarian plans to challenge Colorado’s ‘ballot-selfie’ law
- After 2016, Where Is the Libertarian Party Today, and Where Is It Going?
- "Did the Libertarian Party Blow It in 2016?
- "Find What You Love and Let it Kill You"
- [http://www.coloradoindependent.com/165618/libertarian-party-archives-coloradoThe Libertarian Party’s national archives now live in Colorado
- Larry Sharpe and Caryn Ann Harlos, Uniting the Clans
- Libertarianism Was Born In Westminster And Other Historical Party Facts
- "The Libertarian Party's Paid Membership Numbers Take a Dive"
- "Ask Me Anything Part 1"
- "Ask Me Anything Part 2"
- Kratom Ban in Denver Ripped by Libertarian Party of Colorado,
- Larry Sharpe, Libertarian Candidate for Governor of New York, Quits the Party's National Committee,
- Meet the LNC: Caryn Ann Harlos, January 31, 2017
- CSPAN coverage of 2016 Libertarian Party National Convention
- "Why you should care about the Libertarian Party in 2016"
- "The People vs. Capitalism"