1978 (1978th) was a common year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar, the 1978th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 978th year of the 2nd millennium, the 78th year of the 20th century, and the 9th year of the 1970s decade.
A Libertarian National Convention was held in Boston.
- Dick Randolph became the first Libertarian elected to state office with his election to the Alaska House of Representatives.
- Gary Gates was elected to a non-partisan post on the Madison City Council in Wisconsin.
- Ed Clark for governor of California
- David Bergland for California State Senate, the first candidate there to appear as a Libertarian instead of an independant.
- Gary Roewe became state chair of the Libertarian Party of Iowa.
- Larry McKenna became state chair for the Libertarian Party of Michigan.
|The Year of