|Birth:||February 9, 1923 |
New York City, New York, USA
|Death:||March 20, 2014 (aged 91) |
Eugene, Oregon, USA
Theodora Nathalia "Tonie" Nathan (February 9, 1923—March 20, 2014) has the historical distinction of being the first woman in US History to receive an electoral vote, in 1972, more than ten years before Geraldine Ferrarro.
Nathan was the vice presidential running mate for John Hospers in the 1972 presidential election. Elector Roger MacBride of Virginia cast his lone electoral vote for the ticket of Hospers and Nathan, which received just over 3000 popular votes, despite very little publicity and their appearance on the ballot in only 2 states.
- 1972 Vice-President
- 1976 Vice-President (David Bergland won the nomination)
- 1976 US Congress (as an independent due to lack of ballot access)
- 1980 US Senate, Oregon
- 1990 US Congress, 4th District
- 1996 US Congress, 4th District
- Libertarian National Committee, Vice-Chair (date needed)
- Libertarian National Committee, At-Large (1987-1989)
She was a pundit, talk radio host, talk show host on KVAL-TV, and a business owner, including an insurance company.
|Libertarian Party Vice Presidential candidate
|Libertarian Party Vice Chair
|Libertarian Party of Oregon US Senate Nominee