LP News 1972 February Issue 3
The third issue of the LP News publication was primarily focused on setting the party up after the party's foundation in 1971. It was published by The Libertarian Party's National Headquarters in Colorado.
- 1 LP's public debut a smashing success
- 2 Temporary Executive Committee
- 3 Political Perspective
- 4 Bits & Pieces
- 5 Texas Libertarians Interview LP Chairman on Radio
- 6 Convention News
LP's public debut a smashing success
- The article describes the Libertarian Party's first press conference, all major Colorado newspapers reported on it. It celebrates membership doubling and it announces the formation of The Libertarian Party of Texas, Libertarian Party of Colorado, Libertarian Party of Utah, and Wyoming Libertarian Party.
Temporary Executive Committee
- Region 1 (West) - John B. Taylor
- Region 2 (Mountin)- Karl Bray
- Region 3 (Midwest)- Guy Curtis
- Region 4 (S. Central)- Mike Holmes
- Region 5 (Great Lakes)- June Grem, Pete McAlpine
- Region 6 (South East)- Mark Coleman
- Region 7 (East)- VACANT
- Region 8 (Northeast)- Mark Fraizer, Paul Lepanto
- This issue contains a political article criticizing Richard Nixon over his visit to Peking among other things. It is quite harsh calling him deceitful, tricky, the great deceiver, and a rascal. The article goes on to insist that Libertarians shouldn't find hope in Nixon calling the idea "retarded". In addition other prominent politicians involved in the GOP primary such as Pete McCloskey and John Ashbrook are criticized, Ashbrook to a much lesser extent. The article concludes with a prediction for the primary and sets out the fololowing recommendations for the Libertarian Party to take in order to increase the chance of libertarian ideals being heard:
- Libertarians should support Ashbrook in the Republican primary in order to harass Nixon
- Pass a resolution at the Libertarian Party convention endorsing Ashbrook and withdrawing Libertarian Presidential candidates conditional on Ashbrook endorsing at least 50% of Libertarian platform planks and Ashbrook's continued challenging of Nixon even after the Republican Primary
- Continuing to strengthen the Libertarian party to give Ashbrook supporters a second choice if point 2 doesn't come to fruition.
Bits & Pieces
- This part of the issue keeps readers up to date on what's happening in the Libertarian Party and what's happening to her ideals in general.
- Willam Rickenbacker sent an article written by LP member Ken Ryan into the National Review, it was published in the January, 21 1972 edition. The article published in the National Review calls for the end of stamp on sin laws that ban things such as drug laws, bedroom laws, usury laws, and vice laws.
Good Guys and Bad guys
- Here the LP News article points out a new and revised way to score federal representatives created by A Review of the news. It uses a rubric that determines how libertarian someone is. It ensures for a representative to get a 100 that representative must vote for liberty 100% of the time.
A Case for the Libertarian Party
- This part of bits and pieces celebrates an article written by chair of the LP chair, David Nolan getting published in the July/August issue of the The Individualist
Platform Plank Already Has Much Support
- This portion of the issue celebrates the potential to legalese the ownership of gold, it urges members to contact their congressmen for the purposes of gathering their support for the legislation that would legalese gold.
Newspaper Readers Needed
- This is serving as an announcement of an offer to anyone that can submit clippings from their newspaper containing articles about the Libertarian Party. One dollar in cash or two dollars in party materials for each clipping.
Campaign Technique Manual
- The LP is taking orders for a manual that deals with all phases of electioneering
- Members that joined the LP prior to January 1972 should have their cards enclosed in this LP News issue, those who joined after will find it in their membership kits.
Subscribers + Many Thanks
- Members are encouraged to continue sending suggestions about the platform. Members should also get a subscription to LP News , this can be bundled with membership dues.
- This simply is a correction on the date that the Missouri election takes place, Last issue it showed the date as 10/31/72 while the correct dates are 8/14/72-8/31/72.
Latest Libertarian Rip-Off
- Here lies the denunciation of a group out in California that's trying to get Libertarians to join a "League of Non -Voters."
Texas Libertarians Interview LP Chairman on Radio
- Texas LP leaders Keith Jones and Mike Holmes interviewed Temporary LP Chairman Dave Nolan, via telephone, on the January 20th broadcast of their weekly radio program in Houston. For 15 minutes, the three discussed the Party's Temporary Platform, the underlying philosophy, and the Party's plans for action in 1972. This also was the way to contact the program if another radio station wished to air the interview.
- The dates of the first National Convention were finalized, the plans called for it to be held in Denver, June 8th through 11th. Dale Nelson was assigned the post of Convention Arrangements Chairman. More Spefic plans including accomadations were planned to be outlined in the next newsletter.