Caryn Ann Harlos
|Caryn Ann Harlos|
| Region 1 Representative|
Libertarian National Committee
| Communications Director|
Libertarian Party of Colorado
|Occupation:||Paralegal, Author, Activist|
|Residence:||Castle Rock, Colorado|
Caryn Ann Harlos is the current Region 1 Representative on the Libertarian National Committee representing Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Hawaii, Kansas, Montana, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming; the Communications Director for the Libertarian Party of Colorado; Chair of the Libertarian Party Preservation Committee and Colorado State Coordinator with the Libertarian Party Radical Caucus. She is also a Life Member of the Libertarian Party.
- Social Media Chair, Libertarian Party of Colorado, January 2015 through present.
- Member, National Social Media Team, National Libertarian Party, August 2015-present.
- Member, Platform Committee, Libertarian Party Radical Caucus, October 2015-March 2016.
- Communications Director, Libertarian Party of Colorado, January 2016 through present.
- Colorado State Coordinator, Libertarian Party Radical Caucus, April 2016-present.
- Chair, Platform Committee, Libertarian Party of Colorado, October 2015-March 2016.
- Member, Bylaws Committee, Libertarian Party of Colorado, October 2015-March 2016.
- Member, Bylaws Committee, Libertarian Party Radical Caucus, 2016.
- Regional Representative, Libertarian National Committee, May 2016-present.
- Member, Advertising and Publication Review Committee, Libertarian National Committee, May 2016-present.
- Member, Libertarian Advisory Committee for Gary Johnson Campaign, July 2016-November 2016.
- Chair, Bylaws Committee, Libertarian Party of Douglas County Development Group, October 2016
- Chair, Platform Committee, Libertarian Party Radical Caucus, October 2016-present.
- Member, Bylaws Committee, Libertarian Party of Colorado, October 2016-March 2017.
- Chair, Convention Committee (Party Business Subcommittee), Libertarian Party of Colorado, October 2016-March 2017.
- Member, Branding Committee, Libertarian Party Radical Caucus, October 2016-present.
- Chair, Credentialing Committee, Libertarian Party of Colorado, November 2016-March 2017.
- Member, Convention Standing Rules Committee, Libertarian Party of Colorado, November 2016-March 2017.
- Chair, Historical Preservation Committee, Libertarian Party, January 2017-present.
- Member, Convention Committee, Libertarian Party Radical Caucus, 2017.
- Member, Platform Committee, Libertarian National Party, 2017-2018.
- Member, Bylaws Committee, Libertarian National Party, 2017-2018.
- Member, Policy Manual Committee, Libertarian Party of Colorado, 2017-present.
- Member, Policy Manual Committee, Libertarian Party of Colorado, August 2017-present.
- Member, Candidate Support Committee, National Libertarian Party, August 2017-present.
- Member, Constitution and Bylaws Committee, Libertarian Party of Colorado as appointee of the Douglas County Libertarian Party, September 2017-present.
- Member, Platform Committee, Libertarian Party of Colorado, September 2017-present.
"Ballot Selfie" Lawsuit
In 2016, Caryn Ann and several other defendants sued the Colorado Secretary of State, State Attorney, and Denver Attorney General over a Colorado statute forbidding the disclosure of the contents of one's own ballot. This came in the wake of multiple similar suits, including a successful overturning of a similar law in New Hampshire. View a copy of the Complaint and the Order for Injunctive Relief as well as a copy of the Colorado statute that was overturned.
Caryn Ann is an ideological anarchist/voluntaryist who has become distinguished for presentations on the Dallas Accord and the Statement of Principles. She is also widely known as a pro-life Libertarian having authored "Abortion and the Libertarian Conscience."
- Arizona Libertarian Party, January 2017.
- Montana Libertarian Party, March 2017.
- Libertarian Party of Colorado, March 2017.
- Libertarian Party of New Mexico, April 2017.
- Libertarian Party of Washington, April 2017
- Alaska Libertarian Party, May 2017.
- Libertarian Party of Oregon, June 2017.
Other Media Appearances and Interviews
- Politico, May 2016
- The Washington Post, May 2016
- Reason "Hit and Run," July 2016
- Denver Post, August 2016
- Westword, August 2016
- The Johny Rocket Launchpad, September 2016, Episode 102'
- Colorado Independent, October 2016
- National Libertarian Party Facebook Spotlight, January 2017
- Tom Woods Show, February 2017, Episode. 844
- Libertopia Cartoons, February 2017
- Colorado Independent, May 2017
- Dankertarian Podcast, Ep 01, June 2017
- Libertarian National Party Conference Call, July 2017
- Colorado Public Radio, August 2017
Other Noteworthy Appearances
- 2016 Nomination Speech for Libertarian Presidential candidate Darryl W. Perry (video not available)
- 2016 Nomination Speech for Libertarian Vice-Presidential candidate Will Coly
- Clip on CNN promo on Libertarian Party
- Defending Markets at Warm Cookies of the Revolution, December 2016
2017 Appointment to Platform Committee
At the LNC Meeting on April 15017, 2017, Caryn Ann was appointed to the Platform Committee for the 2018 Convention. In the first round of voting there was a 4-way tie between Adam Bates, Aaron Starr, Joe Henchman, and Caryn Ann Harlos. Those four were the only ones included in the second round which then had a tie between Aaron Starr and Caryn Harlos at 9 votes each (and a majority). In round three of voting Aaron Starr and Caryn Ann Harlos each received 8 votes, and Adam Bates received 6 votes. For the next round, the rules were suspended to allow only one vote rather than approval voting. In round four, no one received a majority with Aaron Starr receiving 8 votes, Caryn Ann Harlos receiving 6 votes, and Adam Bates received 3 votes. A motion to suspend the rules to appoint Aaron Starr failed and voting went to another round. In the fifth round, no candidate received a majority with Arron Starr receiving 6 votes, Caryn Ann Harlos receiving 8 votes, and Adam Bates receiving 2 votes. In round 6, Aaron Starr and Caryn Ann Harlos each received 8 votes, and Adam Bates received 1 vote. The rules suspended to have the results determined by a coin flip between Aaron Starr and Caryn Ann Harlos. The minutes describe the results as follows:
Using a New Jersey quarter which Mr. Redpath purportedly obtained from The Sopranos on his last visit, Mr. McKnight conducted the coin toss, and Ms. Harlos called the “New Jersey / tails” side of the coin. Ms. Harlos won the coin toss, thus she was appointed to the fifth position on the Platform Committee, and Mr. Starr was appointed as an alternate.
- "How a Libertarian plans to challenge Colorado’s ‘ballot-selfie’ law", Colorado Independent, October 21, 2016
- "Ballot Selfie Ban Violates Free Speech Rights", "FPP News, Volume 7, Issue 11"
- Independent Political Report, August 25, 2016
- "Caryn Ann Harlos on the LP Statement of Principles", Libertarian Party, May 3, 2017.
- Photo Gallery from the 2016 Libertarian Party Convention
- [https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/05/29/libertarians-pick-johnson-and-weld-ticket-after-close-contest/?utm_term=.cd4ddc6205fb Libertarians pick Johnson and Weld ticket after close contest]
- "Did the Libertarian Radicals Lose Their Inter-Party Fight? Not So Fast, Says One"
- Small but growing number of Colorado voters shift to Green, Libertarian parties
- "How "Terrible" Trump and Clinton Help the Libertarian Party in Colorado and Beyond"
- Party-Archy, the Libertarian Wing of the Libertarian Party"
- How a Libertarian plans to challenge Colorado’s ‘ballot-selfie’ law
- Meet the LNC: Caryn Ann Harlos
- After 2016, Where Is the Libertarian Party Today, and Where Is It Going?
- "Find What You Love and Let it Kill You"
- [http://www.coloradoindependent.com/165618/libertarian-party-archives-coloradoThe Libertarian Party’s national archives now live in Colorado
- Larry Sharpe and Caryn Ann Harlos, Uniting the Clans
- Libertarianism Was Born In Westminster And Other Historical Party Facts
- CSPAN coverage of 2016 Libertarian Party National Convention
- "Why you should care about the Libertarian Party in 2016"
- "The People vs. Capitalism"