|Photo of Alex Merced by Brian Waddell|
| Vice Chair|
Libertarian National Committee
|July 2, 2018—present|
|Birth:||June 30, 1985 |
|Education:||Bowling Green State University (B.A.)|
|Occupation:||Financial Industry Trainer, Author, blogger, marketing consultant|
|Residence:||Brooklyn, New York|
Alex Merced (born June 30, 1985) is an American author, blogger, marketing consultant, financial industry corporate trainer and Libertarian pundit. Merced runs a YouTube channel where he discusses Libertarian ideas such as individual liberty and free markets. Alex Merced is also the founder of online commentary website, LibertarianWingMedia.com. He ran for Public Advocate of New York City in 2013, getting 10,400 votes. He ran for Senator of New York in 2016 where he got 48,036 votes. Alex Merced also ran for NYC Comptroller in 2017 getting 5810 votes. In 2018 he is the Policy Director or the Larry Sharpe for New York Campaign and a Candidate for Vice-Chair of the Libertarian National Committee.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Career
- 3 Politics
- 4 Personal life
- 5 References
His parents divorced after giving birth to his little brother. Merced's mother worked multiple jobs to raise her children while going to school. She eventually graduated, got a job, and bought a house in the suburbs.
In High School Alex attended Howell Cheney Technical Vocational School. During this time he read Anthem by Ayn Rand, which Alex "found compelling and always held in the back of his mind as it sparked a deep value for individuality".
Merced is a graduate of Bowling Green State University in Ohio where he got his B.A. in Popular Culture studies and minored in Marketing. He was a host for the local college radio station (WBGUFM 88.1FM), he would spend time promoting concerts in the BGSU music scene under the brand, "Fashionably Numb Music". He also owned a hobby retail store called The Gamers’ Lounge, which eventually closed before he graduated.
After graduating in fall 2007, Merced moved in with his father in Long Island. He worked at a marketing internship at High End Shoe Brand Shane and Shawn. Later, he was a Stock Broker for E1 Asset Management and worked at Greico Financial Training as a Training Specialist training people across the financial industry.
In 2008, Merced started a vlog on his YouTube channel where he discusses Libertarian ideas such as individual liberty and free markets. Alex over the years has curated many of his videos for easier access at websites such at Libertarian101.com, LearnEconomicsNow.com and IntrotoLiberty.com
Also in 2016, Alex Merced started LibertarianWingMedia.com and several podcastsincluding the AlexMercedCast, Breaking Progressives (retired), Libertarian Comments, Economics Why Not? (retired), Podcast and Vlogging: Tips & Tricks (retired), Better Today (retired), and The Bitcoin Blockchain Crypto Podcast. Episodes of the retired podcasts can be found at archive.alexmercedpodcast.com
Merced was the 2015 Web Chair of the Brooklyn Libertarian Party and 2015 Co-Media Chair of the Manhattan Libertarian Party.. Also Merced resumed being the Media Chair of the Manhattan LP in 2018.
2013 New York City Public Advocate election
2016 Senate election
in 2016, Merced ran for Senator of New York in order to unseat incumbent Chuck Schumer. “And neither of the two candidates in the senate race (Schumer and Long), or neither of the major presidential candidates, Trump and Clinton…have talked seriously, in a productive way about the drug war or foreign intervention abroad in a way that would save lives. I tell people , ‘a vote for libertarian is not just a vote against two major parties, it’s a vote for life and death. You’re voting for the only party seriously talking about policy interventions that would save actual lives.” says Merced.
His platform involved lowering regulations, a 20% flat tax on income with an age based tax credit, rainy day saving accounts to replace IRA/HSA/Coverdell accounts, ending the war on drugs, and rolling back regime change in foreign countries. He was endorsed by 2016 Libertarian nominee Gary Johnson, runner up Austin Petersen, Will Coley, Vermin Supreme, Founder of Everything Transgendered Jennifer Louise Lopez and four republican Candidates for New York State Assembly.. In the 2016 election Alex Merced got over 48,000 votes.
2017 New York City Comptroller Election
in 2017, Merced is ran for NYC Comptroller campaigning mainly on the comptrollers role in advising the investment of pensions funds. Alex Merced made the case that the pension fund is structurally building in too much risk exposing pensioners to losses and taxpayers to being subject to "catch up" contributions. In the election Alex Merced got over 5800 votes for his run for Comptroller.
2018 Larry Sharpe Gubernatorial Campaign
Alex Merced was serving as the Policy Director on the executive team of the Larry Sharpe for Governor of New York 2018 Campaign. In order to focus on his campaign for Vice Chair, Alex Merced took on a different role as Senior Policy Adviser.
2018 Region 8 Alternate
After being Vacated by Larry Sharpe, Alex Merced took of the role as the Region 8 Alternate on the LNC. He did not run for re-election in the seat and as he was elected Vice Chair. He was was replaced by Jeff Lyons.
2018 Candidacy for Vice-Chair of the Libertarian National Committee
Alex Merced announced in December 2017 that he is running to be the next Vice-Chair of the Libertarian National Committee. Alex Would go on to win after 3 rounds of voting with 50.6% of the vote to become the next Vice Chair of the Libertarian National Committee.
Alex Merced works training people in the financial Industry for Greico Financial Training since 2008.
Alex Merced also makes music as a hobby.
- "Alex Merced for New York" (in en-US). http://alexmercedforny.com/.
- "About the Company" (in en-US). Merliva LLC.. 2016-02-02. http://www.merliva.com/about-the-company/.
- "Alex Merced". https://www.youtube.com/user/AlexMerced/featured.
- "Merliva LLC." (in en-US). http://www.merliva.com/.
- "Officers" (in en-US). Libertarian Party of Brooklyn. 2016-02-03. http://www.brooklynlp.website/officers/.
- "MLP Officers - Manhattan Libertarian Party" (in en-US). Manhattan Libertarian Party. http://manhattanlp.org/about/mlp-officers/.
- "Schumer, Long square off in Senate election". lohud.com. http://www.lohud.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/11/07/schumer-long-ny-senate-race/93413318/.
- Dawson, Evan. "Congressional Candidate John Plumb; U.S. Senate Candidate Alex Merced". http://wxxinews.org/post/congressional-candidate-john-plumb-us-senate-candidate-alex-merced.
- "Alex Merced". Libertarian Party. https://www.lp.org/candidates/liberty-candidates-16/alex-merced-0.
- Sukert, Chris Bolt, Elana. "Libertarian Merced Ready to Challenge Schumer for US Senate Seat" (in en). http://waer.org/post/libertarian-merced-ready-challenge-schumer-us-senate-seat.
- "Alex Merced | Nov. 8, 2016 - General Election Voter Guide" (in en). News 12. http://politics.news12.com/voters-guide/long-island/guide/nov-8-2016-general-election/candidate/alex-merced.
- "Endorsements" (in en-US). Alex Merced for New York. 2016-07-20. http://alexmercedforny.com/endorsements/.
- "Why I'm Running for NYC Comptroller" Merion West
- Secret Fire Media (2014-11-17), Becky & Alex | Connecticut Wedding Video | Secret Fire Media, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iFqxvkGdbA, retrieved 2016-10-19
- Alex Merced (2012-10-14), Alex Merced Proposes to Becky, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tki3KQmI6JM, retrieved 2016-10-17