1980 (1980th) was a leap year starting on Tuesday of the Gregorian calendar, the 1980th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 980th year of the 2nd millennium, the 80th year of the 20th century, and the 1st year of the 1980s decade.
For the first time since the Socialist Party in 1916, a third party had full ballot access. The Libertarian Party was on the ballot in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Guam. The Libertarian Party has reached this level off access in three subsequent presidential cycles: 1992, 1996, and 2000.
- Crayton Green "Sparky" Hall became chair of the Libertarian Party of Louisiana
- Brian Wright became chair of the Libertarian Party of Michigan
- David Bergland of California (and National Chair) ran for US Senate.
- Ed Clark for US President
- Ken Fanning was elected to the Alaska legislature.
- Michael Grant of Iowa ran for US Congress.
- David Koch of Koch Industries for US Vice President, who pledged $500,000 of his personal funds to the Libertarian campaign
- Dean Miller of Iowa ran for US Congress.
- Dick Randolph was re-elected to the Alaska House of Representatives.
|The Year Of